Speech Language Pathology (MS)

What is A Speech Language Pathology (MS) Degree?

Speech Language Pathologists (sometimes called speech therapists) diagnose speech problems—verbal and non-verbal–in individuals of all ages and implement treatment strategies to help patients improve their abilities to communicate and swallow. Swallowing may be hard after certain illnesses. They help patient’s language problems—understanding and expressing oneself—and choosing appropriate social communication and body language. Some therapists specialize in deaf or hard of hearing patients as well as people who suffer from some level of autism. This health field is complex, providing lots of opportunities to work with people, primarily on a one-to-one basis, and make a really big difference in their lives.  You will need a Master’s degree to practice as a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) and a license in most practice settings.

A Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field is required to get into most SLP graduate programs.  Coursework for an MS degree in the field include courses like the anatomy and physiology of speech disorders, diagnosing speech problems, audiology, communications disorders, and phonetics.  Once you complete the MS degree, you may be required to serve an internship in a practice setting to be able to achieve the licensure that will be needed in most places.

The videos below discuss “typical” programs, so they should help regardless of which school you are considering.

Faculty Advice

Student Advice