School Psychology (MA or MS)

What is A School Psychology (MA or MS) Degree?

Psychology is the scientific study of human behavior and mental processing–the mind.  So, it’s a field that people really enjoy studying because what’s not to like about basically learning about you?!  The field has a very broad application, even though many people think it’s mainly about counseling people and helping them with their problems.  School Psychologists use their knowledge and skills of behavior and mental processing to help children and youth—in reality, all levels of learners—to learn, to handle social situations and emotional difficulties, and to behave appropriately in a variety of situations.  They also work with teachers and administrators to help them to learn strategies for dealing with students who need help.

Some School Psychologists are educated at the Master’s level, earning an MA or MS in School Psychology from a psychology department.  Some earn an MEd degree, the Master’s of Education in School Psychology degree, which is awarded by schools of education.  All Master’s level training will cover both the clinical and educational aspects of the field, but the emphasis will vary greatly from one school to the next.  The MEd degree in School Psychology programs at schools of Education will likely focus more on the learning aspects of the field than on the clinical side.  Most programs require some kind of practicum or internship work, too.  Some geographical areas will require advanced training beyond the Master’s degree to be a School Psychologist, such as an EdS degree in School Psychology which consists of an additional 30 credits of coursework.   A license or certification may also be required.

The videos below discuss “typical” programs, so they should help regardless of which school you are considering.

Faculty Advice

Student Advice

What Can I Do With A School Psychology (MA or MS) Degree?